Mustangs vs Indians

Kaitlyn Starks and Bryan Ramirez

On February 23, 2017 at Lambuth University, an intense soccer match took place between the North Side Indians and our Madison Mustangs. The Madison soccer team had lots of doubt after losing 6 seniors in the 2015/16 season, 4 of them being starters. But last night our Mustangs showed strong character against the North Side team. North Side High School has picked up many new athletes after the 20-20 vision plan that made Jackson Central Merry High School close down, so student athletes were moved all around the county. After losing many seniors last season, Captain Bryan Ramirez and the rest of the seniors (Jacob Dietrich, Maddox McKnight, Ashkan Neshagaran, Rayyon Abdi, Hayes Binkley, Jeremy Pittman, Trenton Phelps) knew they had to step up against a new and stronger North Side team.

At the beginning of the match, North Side had the Mustangs scared and defending for their lives. The Mustangs could not get any offense going after losing 3 offensive starters. The Mustangs had already played one match against Jackson Christian High School, so they had an idea of the defensive shape and were able to hold North Side from scoring the whole 1st half. After the first 15 minutes, the Mustangs got a hang of North Side’s style of play and were able to shut them down the rest of the half to keep it a scoreless game by half time.

At half time, head soccer coach Chris Baker explained to the team what was needed to be able to win this game. “We knew the North Side team was a lot more experienced with each other as a team.” Coach Chris just told the boys to keep playing their defensive shape and trust in each other and the goal would come.

Coming into the second half, North Side tried to do the same as when they first started the match, which was pressing hard on offense and trying to force the Mustangs to make mistakes in the defense. Coach Chris Baker’s side was prepared for that as well, and the Mustangs were able to possess around the Indians much better than in the first half. North Side’s Diego Atilano was able convert a penalty when around the 64th minute Hayes Binkley fouled North Side’s striker Rodrigo Atilano. Being down 1-0 with 20 minutes left in the game, the Mustangs turned the table and started pressing the Indians back into their defense, where they are not as comfortable as the Mustangs. Soon after 3 minutes North Side scored their goal, Madison’s Wesley King scored off a set piece created by Joey Soriano on a header making it a tie game again. The Mustangs did not let up on the Indians as they kept their high pressure, but the goal just could not come. The game ended with a 1-1 draw, but it was a hard fought game from both sides.

The student news site of Madison Academic Magnet High School
Mustangs vs Indians