“Save the Bees!”

Sarah Barker

As many have heard lately, bee populations have been in rapid decline over the years. Bees are a vital key to food production because they pollinate many crops, so one third of the food that we eat depends on pollinating insects. This means that our life depends on these pollinating insects.

“There has been a forty percent loss of the commercial honeybee in the United States since 2006, a twenty-five percent loss in Europe since 1985, and a forty-five percent loss in the United Kingdom since 2010” says sos-bees.org. This really puts into perspective just how fast the bee population has been decreasing around the world, which is not a good thing for our future. There are different causes as to why the bees have been rapidly disappearing, such as diseases, parasites, insecticides, and climate change. The most deadly of them all being the insecticides. Industrial farmers use the insecticides to keep their crops alive from bad insects that will kill their crops, but they are also killing the good insects, such as bees.

What can be done to save the bees? Of course, donating money to any organization that is based around helping to save the bees, which will allow for more funding for research, development, and application of new farming practices. Other options are to oppose the use of pesticides that are harmful to bees and to support and promote agricultural practices that benefit bees.

So, the next time you see a bee buzzing around, just leave it be.

The student news site of Madison Academic Magnet High School
“Save the Bees!”