St. Paddy’s Day

Valeria Glavan and Meredith Armour

Keep Calm and Dance with the Leprechauns!

St. Patrick’s Day is held on March 17 every year. This cultural and religious celebration has gained popularity in the recent years.

St. Patrick is the foremost patron saint of Ireland. Festivals across the globe celebrate Irish culture with parades, special food, music, dancing, and wearing a whole lot of green and shamrocks. Senior Marcus Browning said,”With so many parade goers, the law of St. Paddy’s day attire is strictly enforced and if you don’t follow it, you may just get pinched.”

This holiday is celebrated in more countries than any other national holiday.”In New Orleans it is a big deal to celebrate St. Patrick’s day,” Michael Saia said, “because New Orleans history is so rich with Irish influence.” In Jackson, TN the LIFT Wellness Center holds many activities to help the members of its community celebrate holidays such as Halloween, Valentine’s Day, and one of the most loved, St. Patrick’s Day. On Thursday, March 14th in the gymnasium of the LIFT from 4-7 pm, a St. Patrick’s danceathon was held said Lisa Smith, the Zumba teacher. The entry fee was $3 for members and $5 for non-members. All the proceeds from this event went to CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocates). This organization supports and promotes court-appointed advocates for abused or neglected children in order to provide children with a safe and healthy environment in permanent homes.

Events like this danceathon are held all over your city. Get involved and help others in need. You don’t understand what your support could mean to a child in need. A popular St. Patrick’s Day saying is, “May your troubles be less and your blessings be more and nothing but happiness come through your door.”

The student news site of Madison Academic Magnet High School
St. Paddy’s Day